Thursday 31 July 2008

Bouncy Castles Okay Again?

Today's news that Mr and Mrs Perry have won their appeal has given me a little bit of relief. One of the many joys of childhood are jumping on a bouncy castle (and I've heard adults enjoy it too).

The news that the Perry's had been found liable came just as I was considering to book a castle for my son's birthday party - I have to admit that I didn't make that booking but I have allowed my son to go on a bouncy castle over the Summer (under strict supervision of course).

The voluntary group I belong to were organising summer parties for children and parents up and down the country and were initially told that they were covered under insurance for bouncy castles (as long as all paperwork and risk assessment checks had been made) but then the insurers withdrew their insurance unless we paid an extra premium - which amounted to more than our local event actually made 2 weeks ago.

I have every sympathy with Sam Harris and his family and obviously his care needs to be paid for but is this another example of how litigious our times are and the feeling that there always has to be someone to blame?

No comments: