Monday 21 January 2008

Just say 'no'!

Picture the scene. Been 'at my desk' for 4 hours working on an almost late project. Just broken for a quick lunch before picking DS up from nursery, taking him to get together at his friends house where I've agreed to meet a new mum to our parents group as well as 'look after' another friends' 4 year old and 1 year old before dashing off for a swimming lesson at 4! Phone rings and it's know it all mum

KIA: 'Can you do me a favor?'

ME: ' Sure'

Inner voice: Say no! for once in your life stop being a doormat!

KIA: 'Oh great, I've just done a poster for the group tomorrow but our printer's not working and it needs the new logo that I know you've got could you just print off a few copies and take them the the get together for me?'

ME: 'Erm'

IV: NO! No! NO! you've got 10 mins before you've got to pick DS up, it takes 15 mins to crank up the computer, let alone print it. SHE's got the logo too AND she's been using the printer excuse for 6 months now - remember the fundraising posters?

ME: I can't see it in my inbox and I'll have to crank up the PC to print anything and it's a bit slow and I need to pick DS up in 10 mins.

KIA: 'Oh well you know the sort of thing we need, but could you do it on A5? Thanks, Bye.

ME: Argh why didn't you just say NO!!?

Result was 10mins late to pick up DS from nursery and logo wouldn't print so had to listen to KIA tell everyone how we couldn't have the sign up at the group (which I no longer go to because DS is at nursery) because I couldn't print it - I did point out to a few that I only had 10 minutes notice!

Which reminds me I must ring the new mum and check she's okay and is planning on coming back. KIA was in full force but Super Mum was a little subdued, and I was a little distracted by a 4 year old who was sulking, a 3 year old who was HUNGRY MUMMY! and a 1 year old who can move very, very fast! - I hope we didn't put her off :-)

No comments: