Friday 18 April 2008

In Praise of the Babysitting Circle

Some time ago a group of local mums decided to form a babysitting circle. I joined because I thought I should be involved but the thought of leaving my son with someone filled me with dread. Not because I didn't want anyone looking after my 'precious baby' but because, quite frankly, he's a nightmare at the best of times let alone at bedtime. This evening alone it was 9.30pm before he finally slept - and the whole process started at 6.30pm!!

One of my close friends was in the circle and we just continued to look after each other's children for a few hours of an afternoon. However, she recently moved away and I've been busy with work and needed a few hours without a screaming toddler. My son has loved it! On Wednesday he went to a mother and baby group and got to play with all the baby toys (suddenly they seem more interesting when you haven't seen them for a while). Today he went to a farm - walked the dog, collected eggs from the chickens, picked some rhubarb and got a close up view of a tractor. I even got to take some rhubarb and eggs home - now that's what I call good service!

I now need to babysit a bit more to build up my tokens (hopefully I'll get the babies who nap for most of the time).

And my son's behaviour? He was a charmer to the end - when asked if he'd like to sit in the cab of the tractor he said 'No thanks - I have a real one at home'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they always behave impeccably for other people, don't they? I am never sure to be delighted or infuriated.

I have never done babysitting circles but they sound a good idea as long as you get on with the people involved and their children are vaguely civilised. Good luck with it.