Sunday 11 May 2008

Sweeties

A few weeks ago I picked up my DS from his regular Thursday afternoon with grandad. He was bouncing off the walls and delightedly told me that he'd eaten a WHOLE bag of Jelly babies. It wasn't really granddad's fault as he thought he'd put them somewhere safe but DS had found them and secretly eaten them! It took several hours to get him to sleep that night for various reasons but the sugar high did contribute to it. We suggested smaller packets of sweets in future and grandma decided on an all out ban. We also tried to be a bit more careful as to what he had at home so that he didn't keep asking for sweets.

Yesterday we went for lunch with the grandparents. We were chatting away quite happily when DS got a cheeky look on his face ...

DS: 'Mummy, erm you know last night (with my son anything that happened in the past happened 'last night')?' said whilst looking sideways at his grandad.

Me: 'yes, what about last night?'

DS: 'erm' still looking sideways at grandad and grinning.

Grandad: 'Don't you tell my secret!' (in mock stern voice)

DS: giggles

Me: 'Ahh .... what did you have with grandad on Thursday?'

DS: 'erm' another look at grandad, then as if he would burst 'SWEETIES!!!'


It was only a small packet but it was funny as he'd kept quiet for 2 days - even when grandad had told me with a straight face when I'd picked him up on Thursday he'd had no sweets whatsoever, hadn't even asked. Why he'd suddenly decided to tell all at that moment I don't know! I was heartened at the thought that he couldn't keep a secret but then I already know he is capable of telling complete porkies too!

No comments: