Tuesday 23 February 2010

Waiting is different this time

So I officially started my maternity leave 12 days ago and my due date is in 2 days time - we've just had a week of 1/2 term with both my husband and my son at home - so today is only the second day I've been 'alone' with nothing to do. Goodness I'm bored.

When I was on maternity leave I had (what seems now) a wonderful relaxing time. I finished work 4 weeks before my due date and my son was 10 days late. I caught up with movies that I'd always wanted to see, napped during the day, met up with my antenatal classmates, went to aqua-natal classes and antenatal appointments.

This time there's none of that. Where I live now there is little provision of antenatal classes - especially for second time around mums, my friends are all busy with work or children. I have a stinking cold so can't go to aqua-natal. My midwife is off this week - though 'someone' will be here on my due date. None of my maternity clothes still fit - well some do but it is too cold to wear them in this freezing weather, not only my ankles but my legs are all swollen and my hip is quite painful which makes it difficult to walk. The cold I have makes it difficult to breathe so sleep at night - and napping in the afternoon - is difficult. I can only just - with a struggle - get the car seat belt around me and it is difficult to drive with that painful hip. Oh and all I ever seem to do is moan!

But come 3pm my first born will be out of school and will catapult me back into normality again and bring me out of the dumps. Let's just hope there's not much waiting left.

No comments: