Thursday 11 September 2008

New in-law

Last Thursday we attended the wedding of my brother-in-law and the love of his life and for the first time in 11 years of marriage (and 16 of knowing the family) I felt that I was part of the family - the happy couple had asked me, as well as my sister-in-law, to do a reading as part of the service.

Because I didn't want to let them down - and as I only received the reading on the Monday night - I practiced the 5 lines at every available opportunity. The reading went without a hitch and I was able to convey meaning without my voice quavering or my cheeks flaring red. Later in the day my OH took our son to the toilet where he gave a perfect rendition of 'Love is always patient and kind, it is never jealous ...' they really do take everything in.

I asked for suggestions on Facebook and Twitter on tips to keep him busy during the service. Unfortunately he wasn't content with drawing or colouring so did a body surf up and down our pew for the majority of the service (which was a catholic one) asked for the toilet twice and embarrassed us with his declaration that he needed a 'poo poo' (he didn't). He posed for photographs and was charming to the great aunts and was really better behaved than we could have hoped for.

If anyone is organising a wedding we now have great tips for keeping kids quiet during the long wait before the meal starts and during the speeches - play dough (though only if you don't have to pay for the tablecloths to be cleaned as it gets messy) and bubbles. Instead of favours our bride and groom had special rock made with their picture on the label and their names and the date running through - apparently our son made the toasts with his stick of rock (I missed that as I was videoing the speeches).

So I now have a new sister in-law - one I hope will be a close friend and ally in the battles with the MiL (I think she will as we've already compared notes several times). I'm also hoping that she will produce another grandchild to take the pressure off us a bit - though, unfortunately I don' think she can do that by Christmas ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww I think toddlers at weddings are always rather fun and can brighten up what are sometimes rather dull services.

Did you ever read the Annie Rose story about the wedding? I can't think what it is called now but Alfie gets to be a page and Annie Rose can't sit still in the service and ends up joining in. My daughter always loved the story - my sons are less keen and find those stories a bit icky! But your son might enjoy it after his wedding experience.