Thursday 29 January 2009

The case of the missing pants ...

Today was always going to be rather hectic. I'm currently without a car - we noticed on Tuesday that the back door of my car was open and it wouldn't shut. It seems that I broke the catch on our return from swimming this week (a successful trip this week as we decided to move him to a less advanced class - he's happy when he's one of the most skilled in the group) we drove to a nearby garage (with the door tied with a shoelace) where it has sat for the last few days waiting for a part.

So my OH has been juggling his hours so that we can organise school runs and my parents have been helping out too. Today were were going to walk to school but I overslept and my son refused to dress or eat and my dad had to come to the rescue.

Now I have been quite determined recently that my son will dress himself - which can take hours. His peers with younger siblings have been doing it for a long time now and he is capable - it's just sometimes it is quicker to help him. I am usually in the same room with him as he dresses - dressing myself or sorting washing or putting toys away or checking emails, etc., etc. and can sort out any attempts to put on items of clothing inside out, upside down or back to front. Today was no different.

On arrival at school my son dashed ahead of me and dived down the slide outside his classroom - which was soaking wet! He was soaked to the skin all down the back of his trousers (his friends mother rather helpfully announced loudly that my son had 'wet himself' - she's also doled out advice that he should bribe people to be his friends by giving them sweets and that if anyone upsets him he should 'give 'em a whack' - I am hoping he makes new friends now he has widened his social circle). Not to worry - the school PE kit he keeps on his peg is just for this purpose. So we dashed to the front of the queue to get in, grabbed his bag and retreated to the far corner of the room where the easels stand. I quickly whipped off his shoes and his trousers only to discover HE WAS WEARING NO PANTS!

Now I am absolutely certain that he was wearing them as some point this morning as we went through the usual ritual of putting them on his head, putting them on back to front and then putting both legs in one side. The teachers, though amused, said there was nothing to worry about as it happens often (and they keep spares) but I was horrified.

No comments: