Monday 5 January 2009

Happy New Year

Christmas with a 4 year old is magical! We figured that we would probably be woken between 3-5am so there was no staying up late to finish wrapping the presents (last year we were still wrapping , rather drunkenly, at 3am).

This year Santa remembered not to tidy away his glass and plate into the dishwasher after he'd finished his beer and mince pie. Unfortunately we weren't able to obtain the charity reindeer food that we had last year so I made my own with porridge oats and 100s & 1000s (must remember to sweep it up before it rains and we have 'porridge' on the doorstep).

Our little cherub didn't stir until 7.30am! when he ran into our room to announce that he had a sack at the end of his bed with his name on. (Well actually he did have a nightmare at 2am but completely missed the sack on his journey to our room and back then.) even boring pants and socks were given an enthusiastic 'Wow!' because they had come from Santa. The in-laws had arrived in the night and I remembered just in time that he should wake them to share in the experience. I was then able to sneak downstairs and switch on the tree lights so that they cast a magical glow when he tore downstairs to see if Rudolph had eaten his carrot and if there were any presents under the tree. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to stop him tearing through one of my presents (I'm not sure what he thought about the new back up hard drive but i was very pleased with it).

Looking across our living room now, with Christmas just about packed away, I am struck by how much plastic is involved in toys for boys - we have train sets and track, building sets, magnetic building sets, racing car sets, remote controlled racing cars - as well as lots of books and board games.

One thing that echos from the day (and was captured on video) is my son being given a present and being told that it was from 'uncle x'. His reply 'I love uncle x - he has a 'tendo weee'.

No comments: