Wednesday 7 January 2009

Life Stages - Starting School

Yesterday was my son's first morning at school. This is a life changing moment - not only for my son but for me as well.

I spent the day before wielding a laundry marker and marking our surname on everything in sight. Then went back and put my son's first name on everything as I'm not too sure he'd recognise just his surname at the moment.

He woke at 2am so spent the rest of the night in our bed - special dispensation as we were all a bit worried. We'd agreed to get up earlier than we had for nursery - the idea being that when the weather gets a bit warmer we will attempt the 30 minute walk so we need to get used to allowing time for that. Plus, of course, we had to have phone calls from grannies and a mini photo shoot.

well mummy and daddy failed at the first hurdle. There we were, huddled in the cold, waiting outside of the classroom door for the teachers to let us in. In the end one brave parent banged on the window only to be told that we should have take the children to reception on this, first, day. Crowded in the reception area we were subjected to a short speech by the headmaster who thanked us for taking notice of the note that had asked us to enter the school via reception on the first day - erm, hmmm. (I've checked we never got that note, neither did we get notification that school dinners have gone up in price or that the uniform list had changed). There was a funny moment when the head ushered us through to the back of the school where the reception classes are and all the parents instinctively lined up outside the doors (along the left side of the corridor, bags on floor) - we've all been institutionalised!

The teachers were very tolerant of the long cuddles and tears but in the end told the parents that they really had to stop crying and leave their children to it. Our son had a bit of a wobble but that was more to do with the fact that daddy was off work (so it must be a special occasion) than being upset - he was far too delighted with the fact that his best friends from nursery were there.

Three hours later it was time to collect him again - we were the last to leave. He didn't want to go home, he wanted to play on the slide. we dragged him away kicking and screaming so that the gate could be locked.

When I asked him about his day he eventually divulged that the best bit was that the computer had different programmes to the one from nursery. This morning when we dropped him off he quickly shed his coat and then made a dash for the computer corner. My OH and I watched in wonder as he booted up both machines and then helped his best friend by opening up the paint package for him! he then gave a distracted wave - 'bye, mummy'.

3 comments:

louise35flower said...

brings back all the memories, he's made a great start hope it continues well for you all!

Alice Elizabeth Still said...

My first day at school had me turn to my mother and say - "It's ok! you can go now"

I have no idea how it will be for me and Amelia in about 3 years time...

Anonymous said...

Awww they are so sweet when they first start school.

I remember my mother told me that on her first day, my granny told her she would wait for her all day just round the corner. On that first day the teacher decided to take the children out for a nature walk and my mother was inconsolable because granny was not lurking just round the corner after all but had gone home.