Sunday 10 February 2008

Grumpy, sunburn and secrecy

It's increasingly hard to write this blog as I've had very little privacy this week. I am currently in a 2 bed apartment with my OH's sis, her flatmate, his girlfriend, my OH and our DS. The upside is that we look directly out onto a Sydney beach.

SO far my worries about travelling have been unfounded. DS slept through the first flight entirely (12 hours) and didn't bat an eyelid when 4 hours later we put him back to bed at the hotel. And despite a couple of power naps on the second flight he spent most of it watching the inflight TV - even the toilets didn't scare him. I've been underestimating him obviously.

The secrecy is compounded by the fact that my laptop died 2 days before we left so I am using OH and for some reason the WiFi wont work on my log in so I'm using his.

I have something new to worry about - my DS is sunburnt - despite liberal applications of factor 40 he wouldn't keep still to put it on - the draw of the hotel pool was too much and so he has odd burn marks all over his body (so have I and my OH). In 10 years time he'll look at the photos and berate me for being so careless with his health.

Living here we've had an insight into the single life - being old and decrepid (sp?) now we can't remember the time before we got together at the tender age of 18. We've had a tour of the bars and eateries around the flat, were greeted off the plane by drunks who were then less than polite at being woken by an excited 3 year old (and his 34 year old dad). They then went out partying the next night and came home at 5am - luckily we'd had the foresight not to let DS out of the room when he first woke up at 7am but to leave it till at least 10 but as it was it took till 2pm to get any sense out of them. Grumpy, me? Well I haven't come to the other side of the world to nurse their hangovers but I think they learnt a valuable lesson 3 year olds and partying don't mix. But then again we are boring old farts ...

The funniest bit is that the shoes that we simply had to bring ended up being 2 different sizes - turns out MIL brought 2 pairs, one for her and one for her daughter and they were different sizes. When we told her she groused that we'd have to pay the postage for the missing one to be sent to Australia - till I pointed out that in that case she'd have to make a contribution to the flight of the first one and for bringing the second one back! Hmm ... went a bit quiet.

No comments: