Friday 15 February 2008

The Signs

Swollen ankles, irrational mood swings, trousers getting a bit tight, jumping a bra size - normal when abroad right? or perhaps PMT? Yet add tired all the time and feeling a bit queasy, even on land and I realized I'd been here before. Eventually told my other half and we did a test - I wonder if I'm the first to do a pregnancy test at the top of the Sydney Tower? - which confirmed it - I'm pregnant again. We're not sure how many weeks but it can't be more than 7 or 8 and though it was planned it's happened a little earlier than expected.

Of course now every time the 3 year old plays up I panic as to how I'll manage with two. We took him to the Aquarium - he screamed because he wanted to go on the train, we took him on the train and then he screamed when we left (these are not even pleasant trains, more like London Underground in 30 degree heat). We're planning on taking him to see Dragon boat racing and to the Zoo - but it will be punctuated with cries for the train!

As we probably wont be having any more I am planning on enjoying this pregnancy (turn around and touch the ground and a whole block of wood that it all goes well) as I was too worried about the unknown with the first. There's still plenty to worry about - a close friend lost her first baby a week before it was due late last year and I never want to go to a funeral like that again. Plus now we have moved I gather the whole process is different to where we used to live and we have to get our own scan. Then there is when to tell people - unfortunately I can't keep secrets and I am dreading talking to my mum on the phone tonight (as I can pretty much guarantee she'll be in on Sat morning in the UK) as I know I'll just blurt it out (that's how she found out the first time). But the as the in-laws are picking us up from the airport they will find out first and I will be telling my mum as soon as we get home.

We've decided DS behaviour is a direct result of not having the routine of nursery and grandad's usual afternoons with him. My OH is too soft and I'm too tired to argue but there have been a few occasions where I've shouted at him in the street 'No you've got to carry out the threat otherwise he'll not learn'. I actually spent the whole afternoon alone with him yesterday while OH climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge and we had a great time - he was absolutely filthy from climbing all over walls and running up and down hills BUT he came when called and didn't cry about going on the train. I do miss the naughty step though - the naughty corner isn't quite the same :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh congratulations. That's wonderful news! I always envy women who can enjoy pregnancy - I really wish I had been able to enjoy one of mine but they were all a haze of vomiting episodes and fainting in public places!

As for your son - children do tend to play up when they are out of routine and when they know you are less likely to be strict because of the presence of others. Mine always did anyway. That's why I was generally always glad to get home - so were they actually!

Enjoy the rest of your trip.