Thursday 28 February 2008

How was the holiday?

Despite all my fears the holiday was good from a parenting point of view. DS took long haul air travel in his stride - mainly by sleeping through it. He slept constantly through the 12 hour flight from Heathrow to Singapore - woke when we landed and for the transfer to the hotel and settled down for a full nights sleep about 3 hours later - okay cough medicine did play a small part but he DID have a bad cough. The flight from Singapore to Sydney was a bit different as it was during the day- he was excited about the flight and the new game we presented him with for his Leapster. Then as we went to take off he suddenly fell asleep for about an hour before waking up and taking advantage of the in-flight tv. As we began the decent he again fell asleep - must be to do with the air pressure. In between he was entertained with the various offerings of the Quantas staff - meal, choc ices, bananas, hot chocolate, meal and more choc ices (I'm surprised we made it off the plane!). The pattern was repeated on the return journey - on the flight from Sydney he repeatedly asked if we were on the runway and as soon as I said 'yes' he fell asleep - so four flights and he's yet to experience take off or landing! The toilets were a bit frightening but he was a very brave boy!

As for the actual trip we fell in love with Singapore - we stayed on Sentosa Island which is holiday island with many attractions. The hotel was very child friendly and they made a huge fuss of DS (he has red hair which apparently is a novelty). In Sydney he shouted out excitedly 'it's the Opera House' every time we caught a glimpse of it and he was very proud of his daddy for climbing the bridge. He took seeing Koalas and Wallabies (in the Zoo) in his stride and was even unimpressed by the Cockatoos and Parrots flying in the trees instead of the sparrows and starlings we have at home. Hong Kong was less than child friendly and he was quite constrained there as we were frowned upon for letting him show any exuberance - we found out later that there aren't many children in Hong Kong due to the high living cost. He did have a special treat - Disneyland Hong Kong - okay we really enjoyed it too. And what does he remember of the whole holiday - the 'orange monkey' (Orangutan) at Taronga Zoo!

We've had some adjusting - for 3 weeks the 3 of us have shared a room and have been 'together' with no break. Behaviourwise he got away with a lot which caused many cross words between myself and my other half! Is it wrong that I was SO glad when he went back to nursery and hubby went back to work and I got some space to myself?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha no not wrong at all. I am the same after every holiday I go on - I smile all the way home from the school. I'm sure my children are just as glad to get away from me!!

I"m glad it all went well. Sadly planes have never had such a pleasantly soporific effect on my children!