Wednesday 14 May 2008

Breastfeeding Awareness Week

I've just done my stint on a stall in town promoting breastfeeding along with local midwives, Heath Visitors, peer supporters and in my role as an NCT volunteer. There's lots of information about it here.

I felt a bit useless really as I couldn't help those with questions about feeding - my son took to it immediately and fed for 11 months without problems until I had an allergic reaction and was rushed to hospital and only thought to ask after the huge doses of antihistamine whether it would affect feeding him. Equally when I found out that I shouldn't feed him for several days after that large dose he took to cows milk and never looked back, or asked again (sob!).

What was surprising, from an anthropological point of view (people watching is a fave habit of mine), was the number of people that pointedly avoided us. Those that hadn't been able to breastfeed felt they weren't 'allowed' to enter out draw (equally those that struggled to breastfeed in our NCT group felt they couldn't volunteer at the stand either). People rapidly steered away from our stand as soon as they saw the word 'breast' or realised what was happening in the pictures on the posters (no we didn't get them out) - straight into the path of the local Big Issue seller (he was popular today).

I should have taken some of these


that the knitting group I am involved in make to aid midwives in teaching women how to breastfeed.

You don't have to be a woman, pregnant or a mother to be aware about breastfeeding. It is proven that many of those who don't breastfeed their babies make that decision because of their fear of what people will say, that they will be asked to leave premises because someone has complained or that people will stare and make them feel uncomfortable. If everyone is aware that it is best for babies and mothers and is NATURAL and not to be frowned upon then it will be easier for new mums to get on with caring for their children.

Okay off soapbox now - normal service will resume shortly ;-0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I have never belonged to the NCT (I am a bit allergic to groups!) but I did do my bit by breastfeeding for years and never being afraid to do it wherever I was. And I always try to encourage people to give it a try and to continue trying if they have difficulties because it is just such a wonderful thing to do - and so easy when you have it established.

But like you I never really had any problems - well, other than weaning. I always said I would wean when they started to walk - my youngest refused to walk until he was almost 2!